Eggs are considered a good source of protein and choline.Because of this, the egg falls in the Meats category under the Food Guide Pyramid.We say in India that eggs are bachelor's food as they are easy to make and takes less time too.Here's some recipe i want to share with you which I try at home for my son and husband as they just love to eat egg dishes.
Dimer Jhal / Bengali Egg curry ::::
Egg , what we call dim in Bengali , is very favorite for everyone and my family is not exceptional. Nothing special to write about this preparation what I had gone through in one of my favorite community in facebook which was written by expert cook Chitrangada. I prepared this with very little modification.
4-6 nos. eggs , boiled and peeled
one medium size onion, peeled and sliced
one small tomato, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 nos. green chillies,
1 tsp cumin seeds powder,
1 tsp turmeric powder,
a pinch of red chilli powder,
1/4 tsp sugar,
salt as per your taste,
oil for frying.
1. Make a smooth paste of onion and green chillies and keep aside.
2. Mix cumin powder,turmeric powder and red chilli powder adding little water in a bowl and keep aside.
3. Take a fork or toothpick and prick all the eggs carefully.
4. Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan or kadai, add little turmeric powder and salt and then add eggs and fry carefully while turning until it becomes golden brown in color. Take out eggs from pan one at a time.
5. In same oil, add crushed garlic and saute for a minute. When garlic changes to dark color, add onion and green chillies paste and sprinkle sugar and fry nicely for 5-7 minutes. Cover the pan.
6. Once oil starts coming out, fry for a minute without covering the pan. Now add spice paste, chopped tomato and salt and fry for a minute and add little water and cover the pan to cook for 5-7 minutes.
7. Once tomato gets cooked and add little water. Once boiling , then fried eggs and saute everything on high flame for some time. Sprinkle water if needed. Serve with hot plain rice or any kind of paratha.
I wanted to keep little curry with it but you can make it semi-dry too. Again adjust the spice level as per your taste. Rubbing little corn flour with eggs while frying gives nice color. You can add spices while frying onion and green chillies too. No need to mix with water before.
Dim kosha ::::
6 nos. eggs,
3 nos. medium onions,
one cup of tomato paste,
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste,
4-6 nos. green chillies,
2 tsp turmeric powder,
4. Heat oil in a pan , fry marinated eggs until golden brown color and take out from the pan. Prick all the eggs with a fork or toothpick and keep aside.
5. Heat rest of the oil in the same pan, sprinkle sugar and let it caramelize. Add bay leaf, whole red chilli, crushed garam masalas (cloves,cinnamon and cardamon). Saute all for few seconds.
6. Add onion paste and sprinkle little salt and fry for some time until nicely cooked on medium flame. Sprinkle little water if needed.
7. Now add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute. When oil separates , add onion slices and fry for another minute.
8. Add tomato paste and rest of cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder with 1/4 cup of warm water. Fry on medium flame until oil separates and color changes to golden brown color.
9. Add poppy seed and green chilli paste mixing nicely altogether. Sprinkle little water if needed to avoid burning.
10. Adjust salt and sugar and then add fried eggs and cook for another 5 minutes covering the pan. Then take off the lid and simmer for some time until gravy thickens. Serve hot with plain rice or any kind of rice preparation or paratha too.
The whole frying will be without water but to avoid burning you can sprinkle little water while cooking what I did.You can add medium size diced potatoes too. Boil potatoes with eggs and saute and then add at step 10. You can sprinkle chaat masala as garnishing. You can slice the eggs into half while serving too.
Egg curry in coriander and mint gravy:::
I wanted to prepare some other dish but somehow I was not comfortable with the recipe I tried this one and really came good with hot plain rice and lentils soup.
4-5 nos.boiled eggs ,
1 medium onions,coarsely chopped,
4-5 green chillies,
half cup of coriander leaves,
6-7 nos.mint leaves,
2 garlic cloves,
1/2 turmeric powder,
salt to taste ,
oil to fry.
1. First heat oil in a kadai/wok, sprinkle turmeric powder and fry the boiled eggs. Keep aside.
2. Now half of the onion,ginger,garlic,green chillies,coriander leaves and mint leaves and little salt and make a smooth paste .keep aside.
3. Add little more oil in the same kadai ,add chopped onions and saute for some time until it becomes transparent.
4. Now mix the paste with one cup of hot water and then pour to the kadai. Cover the kadai and let it cook for 10 mins on slow flame. When oil starts separating, place slowly the fried eggs and then simmer for another 5-6mins.
5.When done, serve hot garnishing with slitted green chillies and coriander leaves.